- Telesat’s Advantage
- Broadband Applications and Services
- A Winning Choice for Satellite Networking in North America
Dramatic improvements in satellite networking are enabling leading operators like Telesat to offer a host of advanced broadband services with performance levels and pricing that were once considered out of reach. For example you can now send 90 Mbps of throughput or more over a single 36 MHz transponder using DVB-S2 satellite transmission. At the same time you can improve the link availability using ACM (Adaptive Code Modulation) technology.
Advances like these are being driven by a combination of improved modulation and coding schemes integrated within today’s satellite networks – networks that Telesat is implementing in North American markets. We have the proven expertise to design, install and manage complex and integrated communications networks for virtually any requirement.
Telesat's networking solutions offer flexible architectures using state-of-the-art teleport facilities and security levels that meet the needs of the most demanding customers. Our end-to-end solutions are backed by world-class implementation, training, and technical support. All this from one trusted source.
Today's satellite networks typically combine two main elements:
- Hardware – consisting of: (a) hubs and related equipment at Telesat facilities; and (b) satellite modems and antennas at customer sites; and
- Space Segment – which can be in the form of C-band, Ku-band, Ka-band (often for consumer services), and X-band for government and military applications..
Telesat has incorporated hubs from iDirect, Hughes Network Systems and others into our North American infrastructure; all are respected leaders in satellite broadband. A single hub can support multiple broadband networks and each network on the hub can have its performance optimized to serve specific applications, meet a range of Quality of Service (QoS) and security levels, and other customer-specified parameters.
Telesat combines space segment options on our North American satellites with the unique capabilities of our hubs and our 24 hour monitoring and support. The result is superior satellite network performance to meet most any requirement with unsurpassed service reliability.
Few operators can claim Telesat’s breadth of experience and leadership in broadband applications and services. Here are some examples of the most sought after broadband applications today, the customers that rely on them, and Telesat’s offerings:
Private Networks – For Internet access, point-of-sale, distance learning, SCADA, and Business Continuity. Satellite and terrestrial sites are often combined to create highly resilient “hybrid networks” that can be national, regional or global. Two fully managed, end-to-end Telesat broadband services are:
- iMpACTTM – Based on the HughesNet platform and integrated terrestrial networks, is an enterprise-grade solution that supports large, geographically dispersed networks. iMpACTTM is available as a standalone satellite offering, hybrid satellite and terrestrial or standalone terrestrial solution. In any configuration, iMpACTTM is a fully managed, highly secure broadband network that excels at supporting the IP business applications of today’s retail marketplace. Utilizing DSL, ATM, MPLS and fractional T1 technologies, iMpACTTM offers Retail Petroleum and Retailers a cost-effective and robust solution with unparalleled reliability.
TELiproTM – Based on the iDirect platform, Telesat offers two options for Enterprise customers:
- TELiproTM Borderless Broadband - Rapid and reliable connectivity that supports higher bandwidth requirements throughout North America, ideal for cellular backhaul, enterprise and mobile applications
- TELiproTMInternet Service – For businesses in rural and remote regions of Canada that need two-way Internet connectivity with performance and quality comparable to a dedicated satellite link but at a fraction of the cost
- Cellular Backhaul and IP Trunking – Telesat works with carrier customers in North American to custom design satellite networks that meet the unique requirements for these rapidly growing applications.
- Government Services – Can range from digital inclusion projects in Canada’s Far North and developing countries to broadband connectivity for NATO troops, to mobile broadband for government aircraft and ships. For more on Telesat’s government services, click here.
- Custom Solutions for Oil & Gas – Telesat’s wholly-owned subsidiary Infosat has the expertise and market knowledge to design and implement end-to-end broadband satellite networks that meet the demanding requirements of oil & gas, extraction and other resource industries.
- Mobile Broadband – Telesat has become a leader in this rapidly growing market by selling satellite capacity to integrators that serve maritime and aeronautical customers. In North American markets, Telesat Anik satellites are meeting the mobile broadband needs of both government and commercial customers.
- Consumer Broadband – Telesat’s Anik F2 was the first satellite to successfully commercialize consumer Ka broadband services. Today Anik F2 supports two of the leading consumer broadband service providers in North America, WildBlue in the United States and Xplornet Communications in Canada. If you subscribe to services from either of these companies and have questions about your service, Telesat asks that you please contact them directly.
Telesat's comprehensive suite of broadband services can meet the performance needs of any network regardless of its location or operating environment. If you are considering the implementation or expansion of a broadband satellite service, we encourage you to do what many industry colleagues have already done and contact your Telesat representative.