Backed by a 50-year legacy of engineering excellence, reliability and industry-leading customer service, Telesat has grown to be one of the largest and most successful global satellite operators. Telesat works collaboratively with its customers to deliver critical connectivity solutions that tackle the world’s most complex communications challenges, providing powerful advantages that improve their operations and drive growth.
In addition to our state-of-the-art global, geostationary satellite fleet, Telesat LIGHTSPEED, our Low Earth Orbit network will revolutionize global broadband connectivity by delivering a combination of high capacity, security, resiliency and affordability with ultra-low latency and fiber-like speeds.
Telesat also provides industry-leading technical consultation and support services to satellite operators, insurers and other industry stakeholders around the globe.
Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, with offices and facilities around the world, Telesat’s principal shareholders are Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board and Loral Space & Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: LORL). For more information, visit www.telesat.com
Purpose of Job
Telesat’s LEO satellite constellation requires a high capacity telecommunications network interconnecting the space and ground elements of the system, including Satellite Payloads (connecting space-to-space and space-to/from-ground), Landing Stations, Network Aggregation Nodes/PoPs, external customer networks, Satellite Operations Centre and Network Operations Centre. Telesat must engineer a highly capable, reliable, expandable and affordable network that delivers the performance and quality of service that our customers required.
- Take overall technical and engineering responsibility for design, implementation, commissioning and on-going operations of the Telesat LEO network.
- Manage a team of Network Architects, Engineers and Developers responsible for designing and building Telesat’s LEO network end to end.
- Lead the selection of networking standards, specifications and protocols required to provide highly secure and highly reliable communications between numerous and widely distributed elements of the Telesat LEO System
- With the systems modelling team, model the end-to-end network over various day/week/month periods, from times of lowest demand to times of peak demand, and determine the loading and capacity required for each link and each network element
- Establish a plan for expected capacity growth for each link and network element, starting at initial operations and, based on the Telesat demand model, estimate the size, timing and cost of capacity increments required over the life of the LEO system
- Evaluate network reliability, availability, failure rates, restore times, and work around strategies
- Determine spare equipment and diverse connections required, including hot/cold sparing configurations, local and/or centralised location of spares, technical support for maintenance and repair of equipment at each remote site
- Collaborate with Telesat’s Global Connectivity team to assist in identification, selection and acquisition of fibre connectivity for each fibre connection
- Support selection of sites for Landing Stations, NAP/PoPs, Data Centres, Satellite Operations Centre and Network Operations Centre
- With support from Telesat legal and contracts departments, lead procurement of networking equipment required to implement the Telesat LEO Network, managing the process from initial engagement, to term sheet, to draft contract, to signed contract, through commissioning and into live operations
- Optimally balance CapEx and OpEx while managing risk, cash-flow, diversity/reliability, capacity/scalability and on-time availability
- Participate in and contribute to end-to-end Cybersecurity design, testing, validation and operations of the network
- Organize and participate in reviews, as required, with Telesat contractors and supply chain
- Support the development, early integration and testing of various network vendors, technologies and protocols that will be used on the Telesat LEO network
- Support LEO System integration, verification, transition to initial system operations, scale to full operations
- Take responsibility for incremental roll-out, activation, test and performance verification of the Telesat LEO Network in a rational and cost-effective manner that ensures the availability of connectivity on or before the need date at each Telesat LEO remote site
- Plan and forecast effectively, and deliver to budget and schedule
- Effectively and professionally represent Telesat to customers, suppliers and partners
- Provide expert advice and guidance to the Telesat executive team
Education & Experience Required:
- Broad knowledge of modern high-speed telecommunications standards and practices
- Relevant experience working for or with major telecommunications service providers, in North America and internationally
- Up-to-date familiarity with the world’s telecommunications infrastructure, technology, service providers, competitive terms, competitive pricing, payment and other factors
- Solid technical understanding of high-speed global telecommunications, data network engineering, established and emerging equipment, interfaces and protocols, network management and operations, including SDN, SDWAN, MEF.
- Good understanding of network engineering and network operations, troubleshooting and fault detection/restoration, including commissioning of new services, effective test/verification and transition to ultra-reliable 24x7 operations
- Solid understanding of OSS/BSS Systems, PRESTO and/or TAPI and other related technologies for network service provisioning
- Specific experience selecting, negotiating and purchasing significant dollar-value telecommunications services and associated equipment from suppliers in a manner such that total cost of ownership is fully understood and such that Telesat achieves best value for money.
- Experience organizing and managing diverse and dispersed multi-disciplinary technical and support teams
- Minimum 10 years of increasingly responsible leadership experience, with at least 5 years in a telecommunications-related position
- Good international telecommunications experience required
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally; substantial international travel may be required
Decision Making & Supervision:
- Will be required to identify, select, organize and maintain a high-performance team of engineers, technicians and others
- Must deal with unexpected programmatic events in a calm, wise and professional manner and resolve issues in ways that limit impacts to cost, schedule and performance
- Must be able to make wise and well-supported technical and financial decisions, and provide meaningful answers to challenging questions from executive management
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods program (CGP).